Apply my 35+ years of professional industry experience to provide technical leadership to a software engineering
organization, including software architecture, development, quality and support teams. My personable communication
skills build team comradery, and my deep technical experience and guidance produces high quality products. I am a U.S. Citizen,
and have held many past security clearances, background checks, and polygraphs. I am willing to travel.
Apr 2007 - Present,
McAfee, Denver, CO
Manage software architecture, development, quality and support for the world's
largest software security provider. Our products repeatedly earn the Gartner
Magic Quadrant in several product segments.
Acquisitions & Relocations:
- Oct 2020 - present, McAfee Corp, Denver CO, (McAfee Public IPO)
- Apr 2017 - Oct 2020, McAfee LLC, Denver CO, (Intel divests McAfee)
- Jul 2015 - Apr 2017, Intel Corp, Denver CO, (transition to Intel employee)
- Sep 2014 - Jul 2015, McAfee Inc, Denver CO, (relocation)
- Feb 2011 - Sep 2014, McAfee Inc, Atlanta GA, (Intel acquisition as subsidiary)
- Nov 2008 - Feb 2011, McAfee Inc, Atlanta GA, (McAfee acquisition)
- Apr 2007 - Nov 2008, Secure Computing Inc, Atlanta GA, (initial hire)
Jan 2017 - Present, Software Architect & Senior Technical Leader
Managed technical leadership for software architecture, development, quality
and support. Transition from people management to dedicated technology
leadership across many engineering groups. The practice at Intel is to choose technology
leadership or people management, and as an accomplished engineer the choice was clear.
Aug 2009 - Jan 2017, Sr. Engineering Manager (software), McAfee Linux S/W Architect
Managed software architecture, development, quality and support teams.
Handled all employee management, annual reviews, bonus, hiring and RIFs.
Had overall responsibility for three key products:
- McAfee Linux OS - MLOS is custom designed Linux distribution, purpose built OS platform, used as the foundation for many McAfee enterprise gateway products in the Network Security business unit and Content Security business unit. ref: www.mcafeelinux.org
- McAfee Intel Super Tool - A live-boot USB & CD-ROM memory resident Linux system purpose built to provide the customer with easy to use hardware diagnostics. This is distributed with the McAfee enterprise server products of two large business units.
- McAfee Common BIOS - An initiative to automate the build of BIOS firmware packages for the Intel servers used by 13 product groups. This system provides a web interface for groups to enter their BIOS requirements, and builds a BIOS package on-demand to speed the design/build/test/iterate development cycle.
Apr 2007 - Jul 2009, Software Development Manager, IronMail S/W Architect
Manage IronMail software development team with five direct reports. Chief architect and product responsibility for the "IronMail Lite" and "Edge" mail security gateway products. Developed in C/C++/Python, and run on Dell & Intel server appliances. Interface with support group, and manage customer escalations, to cover the full software lifecycle.
Nov 04 - Nov 06,
Earthlink Inc., Atlanta, GA, Sr. Software Engineer
Designed and implemented new systems, maintained and expanded current systems of
high volume server-side mail applications including SMTP, IMAP, POP, LDAP, and
Proxy infrastructure. The SMTP application processed about 20 million messages
per day. Our GigMail re-engineering effort allowed for efficient management of
a 10 PB (petabyte) message base. I personally designed and implemented a proxy
solution to authenticate and route all mail protocols. My skills contributed to
a measurable improvement in quality and efficiency. Work was performed on Sun
Solaris and Linux using C/C++, Python, and Shell. Group collaboration and
cooperative development were used.
Nov 99 - Oct 04,
Teletrack Inc., Norcross GA, Principal Engineer
Oct 97 - Oct 99,
Innotrac Corporation, Duluth GA, Sr. Software Engineer
Designed and developed web applications to integrate with a legacy mainframe database system, warehouse automation equipment, and access functions and statistics of a large call center. These provide users with instant Internet access to the functionality of the legacy system. The web apps were designed from the ground up to be multi-threaded, distributed processing ready, and very high-volume capable. Also developed a warehouse shipping system to manage a database of shipments and control warehouse machinery via 64 serial lines. Used HP-UX and Sun Solaris, GNU C++, ORACLE, and Triple-DES encryption.
Sep 96 - Sep 97,
Copper Mountain Networks Inc., San Diego CA, Software Engineer
Designed and developed an embedded HTTP (WWW) server and Telnet
server for an OEM line of DSL routers. This included the
development of a proprietary CGI language that allowed dynamic
web page creation and access to the routers database. These
applications allowed users to login and perform administration
tasks on the router via the Internet. Applications were developed
using WindRiver's C++ and VxWorks OS.
Jul 95 - Aug 96,
BellSouth Advanced Networks, Atlanta GA, Software Engineer
Developed client and server Kerberos encryption software to access Radius and TACACS servers. Developed all necessary network communications software to centralize maintenance of this system. Various network communication tools were developed to manage and account for network access and usage. Developed a TACACS application for use by Cisco access products for the initial BellSouth.Net rollout. Kerberos work was performed on Windows and UNIX (Solaris 2.4-2.5) running on SPARC 5, 20, Ultra computers, HP E-9000 servers running HP-UX 9.x & 10.0 using HP C++ Protocols, used UDP, TCP, IP, RAS SSL, and DES encryption. Programs used Borland C++, GNU C++, SunSoft C++. Kerberos versions included: MIT V4 & V5, Cybersafe V5, and Cygnus Network Security V4.
1983 - 1995, Various Independent Contracts, Software Engineer
- Jan 95 - Jul 95, SunGard Data Systems Inc., Atlanta GA, Software Engineer
Windows, C++, ZAPP, Novell SPX/IPX, TCP/IP, OS/2 2.1 & 3.0, C-Set++, Novell SPX/IPX, TCP/IP, SQL.
- Jan 94 - Dec 94, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., Miami FL, Software Engineer
WAN X.25, LU 6.2, Async Modem, MS-DOS C++, SPX/IPX, GreenLeaf CommLib, ZAPP, WinSock
- Jun 93 - Jan 94, Microbilt Corporation, Atlanta GA, Software Engineer
MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, Borland C++, Low-level graphic drivers were developed.
- Jan 93 - Jun 93, U.S. Sprint, Atlanta GA, Software Engineer
Developed app on HP-UX to handle 200 in-bound async modems, implement protocol, drive database.
- Sep 92 - Jan 93, Volunteer Hospitals of America, Atlanta GA, Software Engineer
Developed database utilities, IBM RS-6000 using AIX, C, Business Basic, and the C-shell.
- Jul 92 - Sep 92, Household Mortgage Inc., Atlanta GA, Software Engineer
Maintenance legacy C app, Altos UNIX, simple proprietary database, mortgage calculation, lead tracking.
- Aug 91 - Jun 92, Multimet Inc., Atlanta GA, Software Engineer
Developed multi-threaded comm package, OS/2 2.0, 2.1. IBM C++, 64 modem DigiBoard.
- May 90 - Aug 91, Total Business Computing Inc. , Tampa FL, Software Engineer
Developed a multi-tasking real-time OS kernel to run on PC's. Microsoft C on IBM PC compatibles.
- July 89 - May 90, Bear Automotive Co., Milwaukee WI, Software Engineer
C app devel, IBM PC/AT, 80x86 assembly, reverse engineer MS-DOS, AT-BIOS, TSR pop-up apps.
- Oct 88 - June 89, AFC Inc., Kenosha WI, Software Engineer
Developed inventory control app, ISAM, ORACLE, AT&T UNIX V.3, NCR Tower 32, 48-user UNIX.
- May 88 - Oct 88, Institute for Naval Oceanography, NASA Stennis Space Center
Beta test, sys admin, C development on new mini-super computer Astronautics ZS-1, Berkeley UNIX 4.3.
- Nov 87 - Jan 88, Eagle Technologies Inc., San Antonio TX, Software Engineer
Analyze and report on Dept. of Defense Ada Software Repository. Fifty megabytes of code was analyzed.
- Sep 85 - Nov 87, International Marketing Services, Lafayette LA, Programmer
Developed statistics app, C on IBM PC and ported to a VAX 11/780 under UNIX system V.
- Oct 83 - Sep 85, Gulf Industries Inc., Mandeville LA, Computer Consultant
User support installation and trouble shooting of software and hardware in a PC environment
||Operating Systems: UNIX, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Linux, BSD, Windoze, OS/2, MS-DOS, VxWorks.
(x86, 8051, Z80, IBM/360, 6811, PIC12C671.)
||Packages: ORACLE, INFORMIX, SYBASE, DB-2, NDB, GreenLeaf, C-Tree, CodeBase.
||Hardware Platforms: IBM PC, Sun SPARC, RS-6000, HP Snake, Apollo, IBM 3033, 3081,
VAX-11/x, DG-MV10000, Pyramid 90x, MassComp, Astronautics ZS-1, NCR Tower 32.
||Communications Skills: Course work in Technical Writing, Inter-Personal Communication,
Semantics (of Speech), Psychology, Language, and Psycholinguistics.
Available for pre-qualified opportunities.